Sunday, November 25, 2007

Meeting the Locals

I haven't written in a while as I don't know what to type – we’ve settled into a routine more or less and I don't have many news breaking stories to share. I think part of my delay is that I try to write well which takes longer so I'm just going to wing it and post so y'all will at least have more frequent updates! Aunt Becky - please excuse any grammatical errors!

2 weeks ago Shabbat was very nice as I was introduced to a family on the kibbutz who “adopted” me – the woman is from England and is both an English teacher and also writes textbooks. Her husband is from Finland (or Norway?) and they have 4 children, 3 are grown and the youngest is almost 13. The host mother wanted an English speaker in order to converse easily. While it’s nice for sake of relating it defeats the purpose of my coming to Israel for immersion into the language. However, little by little… I also spent this past Shabbat with them as well and met their oldest daughter and we had dinner together in the Heder-Ohel (dining room).

One highlight of my time here was that a woman whom I work with, Dorit, invited me to her parents' home for Shabbat dinner. I actually work with both her and her mother, Dalia. Dorit is 40 and lives in her own apartment but family time is priority so for Shabbat meals she spends time with them. Except for approx. 4 years, Dorit has lived her entire life here at Kibbutz Tzuba. Many kibbutz families once on a kibbutz tend to stay as do their children, grandchildren...you get the idea. However there are new individuals and families that move onto the kibbutz as well.

I hope to post an informational update about more kibbutz facts which will have to wait now as I have a Hebrew scrabble game to attend! Be well!

No comments: