Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fun times...

Shalom All - or as my new friends like to tease me - Shalom y'all.
I arrived at Kibbutz Tzuba this past Monday, Oct. 22. The official program started today, Oct. 25 and so I began Kita Bet which is the slightly advanced class (thanks to all my fellow Hebrew classmates and teacher in Odessa for that & of course, HaShem!) As I could already read the alef-bet and knew a few words they placed me in the second class. The rest of the class has a little more experience than I but I was able to stay up with them but it will definitely be a challenge! However, there's always the option of moving to the alef class if it gets to be too much. Tomorrow I shall discover what job I will have - as there is only one classroom the two classes have to alternate days. So while one class is in session the other students work for that day and vice versa. The students in class alef did jobs ranging from peeling potatoes and onions, to folding laundry, washing cars and helping with maintenance. I think they need so more help in the kitchen, though so chances are...!

My roommate is Tasha and she's from Canada. A really great aspect about the ulpan (language program) is that people from all over the world come as either tourists who want to learn (like me) or new immigrants to Israel. So far our ulpan group consists of wonderful people from Russia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Venezuela, Romania, Canada, and the four corners of the U.S. For some, the only common language we share (or will share) will be Hebrew so we're all interested in learning it soon for conversation's sake! One virtue I've noticed in this group is that they all seem interested in learning about the other and becoming connected.

Yesterday was our last free day before work and class so I took the opportunity to travel to Jerusalem. HaShem blessed me several times in sending me people to assist me. I bless G-d for Joe Good's teaching in which he talked about the store Shorashim in the Old City. As I was a little turned around in the Old City what did my eyes behold but the shop Shorashim! I entered met the very friendly Dov and Moshe who kindly directed me to the Temple Institute's store and musuem. Todah Hashem (thank you, G-d!). It was a good experience! Well I gotta go - thanks to all who've responded to my blogs! G-d bless you each!

Shalom

3 comments:

Katy said...

Hurray!!!!! Isn't Jerusalem the limit! Oh, I am so happy you found Dov and Moshe and, of course, the Temple Institute! Can you tell I'm just a little excited for you? Tell us what you think of Jerusalem on your next blog! The sights, the sounds, the air- all of it. Did you go to the Kotel? Yes, we are going to play 20 questions!

Laters!

Holly said...

I'm so glad you found Shorashim! I was going to tell you to look for it because the Temple Institute is just down from there, but of course I couldn't think of the name of it! All I could remember was Moshe which wouldn't have helped you much. Half the people in Jerusalem probably answer to the name of Moshe.

I agree with Katy, tell us what you thought of Jerusalem in your next blog!

See ya!

rahoerster said...

Shalom Melinda! Glad that the land of Israel is making the words in the Scriptures jump off the page. I am also glad that the Odessa Hebrew classes helped. May you carry it forward to be a light to all that you come across. Peace and a blessing! Ric