Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Almonds and Aharon

Shalom, Hola, Aloha, Ma Kara?

I thought I'd expand the greeting I've been using for practically all my entries! I hope this finds everyone well. Well, it actually snowed again yesterday but was much more wet so slush was everywhere and it fell slushy in a way, too - too bad it wasn't flavored!

So aside from the snow we had beautiful weather last week and it is expected to be spring-like again this coming weekend. Which brings me to the 'almond' part of my title. The almond trees are blooming and should be in full bloom in just a few more days. I've noticed how I have the tendancy to relate my experiences as "this is my first......in Israel". I had my first Channukah, Tu B'Shvat and will have my first Purim celebration here in Israel! But a true first of the first is seeing Almond Trees blooming and of course it is my first time to see almond trees bloom in Israel! It's seeing in color one more time - remember that the decorations for some of the temple vessels were to have almond blooms as part of the design and that Aharon's staff budded with almond blooms as a sign that HaShem had indeed chosen and separated him as a leader and high priest for His service. May I just add that almond blooms are beautiful? Perhaps its only because I'm from West Texas but I'm struck by their beauty everyday. The hillsides are covered with them so you see them on the way into Jerusalem on the bus or just walk around the kibbutz. If you haven't checked my flickr page in a while I've posted some photos I took of them on a walk two weeks ago. Writing this I was just thinking that G-d appreciates the ascetic a little more than I realized. One part of creation is to convey His great handiwork so that it might convey His very essence - which learning from the almond bloom - is soft, light in both color and touch, fragrant and beautiful.

Through the friendly shopkeepers I've come to know I learned of a women's study once a week that I have now attended 3 times. It's a group of about 10-15 ladies who meet on Wed. afternoons to study from the Tehillim (Psalms) for one hour and then from a portion in the Torah using a great sage's commentary, Rashi. We read the texts from the original Hebrew but the discussion is in English, mostly (as these women have lived in Israel for extended periods of time - all but one are native English speakers - various Hebrew phrases have become ingrained in their conversation). I got in in the middle of Psalm 104 and the end of the Torah portion dealing with Noach (Noah). I still need to rewrite my notes on those but wow! they were jam packed. It'd probably be better to just record the lessons as there is so much new perspectives that I can't write it all by hand. Today we started Psalm 22 and the Torah portion dealing with Lech Lecha (Abraham leaving his land, et al and going where HaShem told him).

Even though I don't quite fall in their age range (some could be my mother and some my grandmother!) it is such a joy to just sit and listen to them before, during and after. There's such a good, light hearted atmosphere in their conversations and the teaching and insights are refreshing and thought-provoking. I've made a connection with one fun lady named Chava, or Eve, and actually have been invited to spend Shabbat with her and her family this coming weekend! She's one of the younger ladies and has two daughters - one in high school and the other in college. Too, one of her neighbors also attends the study and is closer to my age and I think we might perhaps share a meal together during the Shabbat as well. I look forward to this weekend!

We go on a tiyuul (trip) tomorrow to Tel Aviv to the Diaspora Museum - I've been told that it's quite interesting so I'll take notes and give you my report. Y'all take care!

Shalom, paz, peace, adios, aloha

1 comment:

Jana said...

That is so cool that you have found a study group. I had seen your pics last week and it did make me think about the almond blooms. You mentioned them being on some of the articles of the temple. I haven't looked it up, but am I right in thinking that they were on the menorah. I loved this pics of the almond blooms, I don't remember seeing them when I was there. Don't know if they weren't in bloom or I just thought they were just another pretty flower (that I didn't know what it was). Everything looks so green on the Kibbutz. It is so dead here. I did read about the snow yesterday. I liked the snow pics too. It was close to 77 degrees here today. Can't wait until spring. As always I love you sharing your experiance with us all.